Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Light at the end of the tunnel

Last week I was jobless and had no idea what I was going to do before our World of Work training programmes would start. But I received a surprising call from Lesley saying that an organisation is already interested in interviewing me as a potential intern and they have part time work for me in the two weeks before we start our classes. I went to the interview and before I knew it I was sitting behind the computer of my new employees, the AICC.

To those of you who are not familiar with this organisation, it stands for the African Institute for Corporate Citizenship. This organisation is one of my options for the internship programme which makes me even more excited because I’ll have a hands-on experience of what it would feel like to work for them. The reason why I’m interested in the organisation is because it focuses on growth and competitiveness in the corporate world. I believe this organisation can teach me the necessary background in corporate policies in South Africa and even Africa whether it includes corporate accountability, responsibility, interaction with governments etc.

The duties I have been given is to help out with the writing of a report on Corporate Governance for the African Peer Review Mechanism. I’m currently busy with creating a database which will include all the sources needed to help finalise this report.

I’m very grateful for this experience because it is helping me understand the working world, even though its only for two weeks. It also makes my decisions on where I want to work one day much easier. As for my employer and my fellow colleagues, they have made the experience even more enjoyable. It is a relaxed and friendly environment and everyone is available when I need help.

I’m still a bit scared when I walk into the office in the mornings because I’m worried that the job I’m going to do that day is not right or up to standards. But I’m sure this feeling will pass with time when we start the internship and gain more experience. I’m very excited for the start of our training next week and to meet all the trainees. See you there.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Lesley Emanuel said...

A curriculum vitae, badly translated, means a 'path of life'. Everything you do, even if it's only two weeks, will contribute to the journey.
Glad to hear you are making the most of your time at the AICC.
Lesley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home