Monday, March 27, 2006

No Death Wish

'It is possible to have a generation without HIV/AIDS - we are the ones to make it possible.' Graça Machel.

It was an eye-opener to see the statistics on HIV/AIDS in South Africa. This is the reality and it is something we all have to face. But what gets my goat is the fact that our country has no set national plan on improving the problem. We are sitting with a president who recognises the issue of HIV/AIDS but doesn’t recognise the severity of the impact and future of HIV. Then we are sitting with a Minister of Health who is a fool to think a diet consisting of certain foods is more effective than anti-retroviral drugs. Wake up South Africa!

We are the youth of our country. We must make a difference by making ourselves good examples:

  • Practice safe sex
  • Educate others
  • Eradicate the stigma of HIV/AIDS as a filthy disease
  • And support those who have contracted the disease

Here is a website which can help us understand more about HIV/AIDS : http://www.tac.org.za. This is the website for the Treatment Action Campaign which fights for the right to affordable means of treating this disease.

I also think it is very important to know the procedures when it comes to HIV/AIDS in the workplace. That is why I would just like to thank Ms. Randall for opening my eyes and making me more aware of something this serious. We need more people like her out there who are willing to educate people to understand how the disease works and to not stereotype the disease as a death-wish.

3 Comments:

At 2:59 AM, Blogger Pascalia said...

I feel so distraught Celeste I’ve just been going through your blog and I have noted that none of my comments appear in the comments section. I’m so frustrated I wonder what I did wrong. I like your writing style. It has the power of making me comfortable and relax and informed at the same time.For some strange reason it was asking me for character string verification and its doing the same now something that does not happen when I am on other people's blogs

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Pascalia said...

Hi Celeste, going through your blog

 
At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I work for an Employee Assistance Programme and we share info on subjects such as HIV. If you ever need more resourses or info please contact me
jbenson@icas.co.za

Nice work on the research. Short but powerful with all you need.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home